Saturday, October 12, 2013

Pumpkin Pie from Scratch

Okay I lied, it's not from scratch. We bought frozen pie crust, but I promise this is still really good. And it's pumpkin pie from a pumpkin - not from a can, so buckle up!

Welcome to installment 3 of Fall Festivity Extravaganzaaaaa! I'm not a huge pumpkin pie fan but I have always wanted to make one from scratch, like, with a real pumpkin. And since a couple of my girlfriends are obsessed with fall in the same way I am, they were all about the experience with me. So here goes!

Ingredients: 

  • pie crust (again, I bought a frozen one, sorry)
  • 2 "pumpkin pie" pumpkins (they will be small and have less ridges, our were labeled "pie pumpkins") 
  • 1 1/3 c. sweetened condensed milk
  • 1 egg
  • 1 1/4 tsp. cinnamon
  • 1/2 tsp. nutmeg
  • 1/4 tsp. cloves
  • 1 c. hot water

How To Cook It:

  • cut the stem off the pumpkin and then cut it in half and scoop out the innards (our pumpkins also had seeds for roasting so double score!)
  • face cut side down on foil lined baking sheets, cover in foil and bake at 350 degrees for 1 1/2 hours (or until tender)
  • let cool
  • scoop out the flesh of the pumpkin and mash in a mixer (or hand mixer, or potato masher) until smooth
  • drain the mash if it's watery
  • in a large bowl combine 1 1/3 c. pumpkin mash and the rest of the ingredients, mix until smooth
  • pour mixture into a 9" pie shell
  • bake at 375 degrees for 55 to 65 minutes (the center will still be a bit jiggly)
  • let cool and serve! 


No comments:

Post a Comment