Wednesday, October 30, 2013

Easy Chicken Parmesan

I have been craving chicken parmesan for so long and NONE of the restaurants around here have it. Can you believe that? Disgusting. So I decided to make it myself and I was blown away by how easy it really is. I'm not sure I'll ever order it again when I know I can make such a good version at home! Here's the thing though: I didn't make my own marinara, I just enhanced a store bought jar. Whatever, I'm hungry, get over it.

Flipping Chicken

Ingredients: 


Sauce

  • 1 cup marinara sauce - I prefer Prego 
  • 1/4 c. onion - diced
  • 1 Tbsp dried oregano
  • 1 Tbsp dried basil
  • chili pepper flakes to taste 
  • 1 clove garlic
  • splash of red wine

Chicken

  • 2 (8 oz) bonless skinless chicken breasts (I just defrosted some frozen ones)
  • 1/2 c. mozzerella cheese - shredded
  • 1 egg
  • 1 Tbsp flour
  • 1/2 c. parmesan cheese - grated
  • 1/2 c. bread crumbs - I used a generic brand with Italian seasonings 
  • 1/2 tsp garlic powder
  • 1/4 tsp dried oregano
  • 1/4 tsp ground black pepper
  • 3 Tbsp olive oil
  • 3 Tbsp vegetable oil
  • a couple leaves of fresh basil (optional)

Enhancing Store Bought Sacue
                  

How To Cook It


For the sauce, I just whip all the ingredients together mix them evenly and let simmer, I think it's a little obvious that I like my sauce flavorful. I should also note that I don't use a ton of sauce, I prefer not to drown the chicken so we never use all of it. 

  • preheat broiler setting on your oven
  • whisk together the egg and flower 
  • in a seperate, shallow dish toss together the parmesan cheese, bread crumbs, garlic powder, oregano, and black pepper
  • coat the chicken in the egg/flour mixture
  • transfer to the bread crumb mixture and coat both sides, press gently so the bread crumbs stick
  • pour the oil into a skillet and heat over medium high heat 
  • once the oil is hot add the coated chicken
  • fry until the breadcrumbs are a golden brown, then flip the chicken and repeat
  • place chicken on an oven safe dish and top with mozzarella cheese
  • place in oven for 2 - 5 minutes, but keep a close eye on it
  • remove from oven, top with marinara and (if desired) more mozzarella cheese and fresh basil


No comments:

Post a Comment