Wednesday, June 26, 2013

Tortilla Soup

Husband has not been feeling well for the last week and requested some soup. He had just eaten about 3 cans of Campbell's chicken noodle so... yeah, chicken noodle was out. (Although I do a really good one that I'll share at some point in the future). He's sick with a sinus infection and likes spicy food so I thought, TORTILLA! Awesome.


Ingredients: 

  • 1 tsp olive oil
  • 1/2 a white onion - chopped
  • 2 tsp chili powder
  • 6 c. chicken broth
  • 2 c. chicken - chopped or shredded
  • 1 can black beans - drained
  • 1 spicy pepper
  • juice of 3 limes
  • monterrey jack cheese - to taste
  • cilantro - to taste
  • salt - to taste
  • avocado - to taste
  • tortilla chips - to taste

How To Cook It:

  • over medium heat, heat the olive oil 
  • add onion, saute until translucent (about 3 minutes)
  • add chili powder, stir until fragrant (about 1 minute)
  • add chicken broth and chicken, bring to a boil
  • reduce to medium heat, add black beans and spicy pepper, heat through
  • let simmer about 10 min
  • spoon into bowls and add toppings to taste

For heat, I'll usually add more than one spicy pepper or I'll leave a few seeds in. Also, as you can see, I used a red onion. White, in my opinion really does give better flavor. And last, I usually blob some sour cream in my soup because husband likes it a lot spicier than I do; I also like my broth a bit creamier than he does. Obviously you can add a myriad of other things too: tomatoes, corn, etc. according to your taste. Soup is really hard to screw up (which is why I love to make it).