Thursday, June 20, 2013

Easy Pasta Dinner

This is a recipe my friend Dane gave me back in college when I didn't know how to cook. It is SO EASY. I always keep these ingredients in my pantry because (with the exception of the cheese) they never go bad and I can make a tasty dinner if I haven't gone to the store all week *ahem*. The other nice thing about this recipe is that you can dress it up: add pesto or chicken or whatever! It's pretty hard to screw this up.


Usually I use farfalle pasta, but this angel hair is all I had...

Ingredients:

  • olive oil - enough to cover the bottom of an 8" pan
  • white wine - I usually use chardonnay; enough to cover the bottom of an 8" pan
  • 1 1/2 Tbsp basil
  • 1 1/2 Tbsp oregano 
  • 1 heaping Tbsp of minced garlic - sorry, I use the pre-minced jar and I don't know what that equates to in "fresh cloves"
  • chili pepper flakes to taste - depending on how spicy you want it
  • 1/4 c. sun-dried tomatoes (in oil)
  • 1/2 lb. of pasta 
  • *OPTIONAL* if you'd like a low carb option of spaghetti squash substitute follow the link here
  • feta cheese to taste

This recipe makes enough for 2 and then some left overs. Again, it's pretty subjective, you can't screw it up; want more? Just cook more pasta! It took me a couple of trys to get it just the way I like it.


How To Cook It:

  • start boiling your pasta water FIRST - this "sauce" doesn't take long so make sure you start that pasta first!
  • combine olive oil and wine together in sauce pan on med heat
  • chop sun-dried tomatoes coarsely and add to olive oil mix
  • add garlic, basil, oregano, and chili pepper flakes
  • let simmer while bow tie pasta cooks - you want the wine to cook out and it to get a little sludgy
  • drain pasta and combine it with sauce in a large bowl
  • sprinkle with feta to taste - personally, I put a TON of feta on this nom!