Wednesday, June 12, 2013

Spicy Bacon Mac 'n' Cheese

Soooo, NORMALLY I try to eat healthy... but every now and then you just gotta have some soouuull food (or your husband demands some artery clogging goodness). This recipe I kind of 'frankenstiened' together from several mac 'n' cheese recipes I found online. I don't want to brag (but I totally do) that my food snob step-dad pulls one of these every time we mention my mac 'n' cheese; and SEVERAL of my male cousins bug me to make it about once a week. So - if you're looking for a way into a man's heart, make them this hot mess of delicious!


Ingredients: 

  • 16 oz. macaroni - I reccommend some long, spirally kind vs. normal elbow macaroni. It's waaay more fun and delicious!
  • 1/2 c. (1 stick) of butter
  • 1/2 c. sifted flour - although I have never actually sifted my flour because I am lazy - but it doesn't seem to make a difference
  • 4 c. milk - I use 1%
  • 2 - 3 Tbsp hot sauce - I use sriracha (rooster sauce) and I don't measure, I basically just squeeze a whole bunch in until it the sauce turns a healthy pink
  • 16 oz. cheese - I usually buy a pre-shredded 'mexican' blend
  • 16 oz. bacon - pepper bacon is awesome for this
  • shredded parmasen - for topping
  • bread crumbs - for topping
  • fresh ground pepper - to taste

Ooooomigawwww BACON!!

How To Cook It: 

  • preheat oven to 350 degrees and place bacon inside so it can start cooking while you prep the cheese sauce
  • cook macaroni and set aside
  • in medium saucepan melt butter over low heat
  • add flour and stir consistently until smooth 
  • turn to medium heat and add milk, stirring consistently until thick (about 10 min)
  • add hot sauce, stir until mixed evenly
  • hopefully at this point your bacon is finished cooking (I usually get a helper to pull this out of the oven and chop it all up. Like so...

Bacon! Bacon! Bacon!

  • add pasta, bacon, and cheese - mix until cheese melts and pasta is evenly coated
  • pour mac 'n' cheese into 9"x13" baking dish
  • top with parmesan and bread crumbs according to taste
  • bake in the preheated oven @ 350 degrees for 25 - 30 minutes


BAM! You're welcome.

(Sorry, I'm not usually this arrogant about my recipes but we literally just ate this and I'm still on a bacon high)