Monday, June 24, 2013

A Week Of Groceries

I don't claim to be a health nut but I DO try to keep my meals relatively unprocessed. If anyone is wondering (and I don't flatter myself enough to think that you actually are wondering but) here is what a week's worth of groceries looks like at our house. Husband has Type I (insulin dependent) diabetes and we have discovered he fares better when we eat home made meals. For example, if I make spaghetti, I make my sauce from scratch, not from a jar with a bunch of sodium and preservatives. Make sense? K cool.


You can see that about 85% of our groceries are fresh produce. I'm not a huge fan of vegetables and I was probably the world's pickiest eater when I was growing up but I've found enough recipes that make me start to drool when I get to the produce section at the grocery store.  


On the menu for this week is: Tortilla Soup, Taco Salad, Broccolini Pasta, Bistro Steak, and a random thyme/roasted grape/ricotta cheese recipe I found here. (Although with this recipe, I have found you get better flavor if you strip the thyme leaves off the sprigs and leave them on the grapes. That will make sense if you read the recipe.) 


I try to hit up the grocery store Sundays instead of Mondays because, like Peter Gibbons, I suffer from "the Mondays".. and I have a work-out class until 6:15 Monday nights, and there's usually laundry, blah blah blah...