Monday, December 16, 2013

Copycat Pottery Barn Christmas Pillow



So I was flipping through the Pottery Barn catalog the other day and I fell in LOVE with this 'Jingle' lumbar pillow. And part of me was drooling and a small voice in the back of my head said 'pshh you can make that yourself'! So I decided to. And I spent a whopping $10... I love Pottery Barn but those psychos want $40 for this thing.


What You'll Need

  • 1/2 yard burlap type fabric (I say 'burlap type' because uhhhhh have you ever rubbed your cheek against burlap? you're making a pillow here people!)
  • red fabric paint
  • sponge paint brush
  • jingle bells
  • pillow stuffing
  • a sewing machine and thread
  • red thread and sewing needle
  • Christmas stencil (optional, if you are unlike me and happen to have lovely artistic skills then by all means.. freestyle it)
  • stitch witchery (optional
  • iron (optional)

My cousin Molly did the sewing of the pillow for me because a) I'm not comfortable with even the most basic sewing machine and b) I had had a liiiiiiiittle too much wine to drink at that point in the evening. THANKS MOLLY! 


How To Make It

  • paint the fabric first - I laid an old plastic cutting board under the fabric to a) provide me with a nice hard surface and b) to catch any paint bleeding through - and it DID
  • be very careful that you don't move the stencil as you are painting, you'll wind up with and ugly mess
  • once your paint has dried sew the basic pillow shape (don't forget to leave a hole for stuffing)
  • hand sew your jingle bells into the corners and in your text (if you're doing so) 
  • stuff your pillow to desired plumpness
  • if you're like me and have long since forgotten that one lesson in 8th grade Family and Consumer Studies class on invisible stitching... use some stitch witchery to closeup your stuffing hole
  • ooo and aaaaah over how much money you save on this super cute pillow



No comments:

Post a Comment