Monday, September 16, 2013

White Bean and Bacon Soup

I originally got this recipe from Pinterest and it was great but now the link has that 404 thing on it and I'm pretty sure over the months I have changed the recipe so I'm not reposting it - I'm sorry to whoever posted it first! Moving on, I have made this a few times now and my husband specifically requests it a lot! It is very easy to make BUT it takes a lot of time, so maybe save this one for when you get home from work early. Here we go!


Ingredients: 

  • 5 cups of chicken stock
  • 1-2 cans of white beans (I keep forgetting and only using 1 can and every time I think it would be heartier or creamier or something if I were to use 2)
  • 1/2 a red onion, diced (the original recipe called for a whole onion but I prefer only a half)
  • 4 carrots, chopped
  • 1/2lb bacon, chopped (like always, I prefer pepper bacon)
  • 1 tbsp tomato paste
  • 2 cloves of minced garlic
  • 1 tbsp (or more, because I love it) fresh rosemary


How To Cook It

  • in a large stock pot cook your bacon pieces until they are crispy, remove them and dab the excess grease off
  • saute onion, garlic, and carrots in the bacon grease until tender, roughly 5 to 10 min
  • stir in the rosemary and cook for an additional minute
  • carefully pour the chicken stock into the pot and add the drained beans
  • whisk in the tomato paste
  • bring to a boil and then cover and let simmer for 45 min, stir occasionally
  • LET THE SOUP COOL! let it cool for a bit (i.e. not still fracking hot) or this happens


  • and you get burned (so basically what happened is I tried to blend steaming hot soup, well the steam was pushed up and popped the lid off and exploded all over me and burnt my hand so yeah... don't do that)
  • WHEN THE SOUP IS COOLED, carefully blend the soup until it is creamy - if you are worried about the texture blend half the soup and then add as you go
  • add bacon pieces and serve