Friday, May 9, 2014

Gold Mugs


Like a lot a people, I've been slightly obsessed with gold lately. IT'S MAKING A COMEBACK! So when I saw gold accented mugs on Pinterest, I just about died. Husband loves coffee... no like, seriously. He's ridiculous. He also loves tea, and so do I, so we go through a disgusting amount of coffee mugs in a week. This project had me written all over it.

What You'll Need: 


  • gold spray paint
  • clear top coat spray paint
  • clean, white mugs
  • painters tape
  • patience 

How To Do It

  • it's an easy enough project...
  • WASH YOUR MUGS, paint doesn't stick to a dirty mug
  • apply painters tape in the design you would like - this is where the patience comes in: mugs are round so tape isn't just gonna rock around in a strait line
  • once your tape is applied PRESS IT DOWN! seriously, be super-anal about this step other wise you'll get chips and bleeds. I used my fingernail to squish out any wrinkles in the edge of the tape and to make sure it was stuck down tight
  • make sure you tape up the inside of the mug too, you don't want over-spray in there or it will look gross
  • take your mugs outside (duh, this is spray paint) and spray your first coat of gold
  • let dry and spray your second layer of gold
  • let dry and spray a layer of clear coat
  • let dry COMPLETELY and CAREFULLY peel the painters tape off
  • place in a COLD oven and turn the oven to 200 degrees (if you place the mugs in an already warm oven, they will crack)
  • let sit for a few hours (minimum of 2)
  • turn the oven off and let the mugs cool inside the oven


I was really worried about the paint coming off in the dishwasher but so far so good! I have not used them in the microwave yet. I'll update this post as I find out! 

No comments:

Post a Comment