Friday, May 30, 2014

Cranberry Almond Kale Salad with Warm Shallot and Lemon Vinaigrette



I don't know about you, but when the weather is warm I have a really hard time eating heavy foods. Things like pastas and sauces just weigh me down and I swear they make me sweat more! Consequently, I am big on fruits and vegetables and salads to make up my summer meals... Which turns out to be awesome cause I'll drop a few lb's here and there.

I've been trying to jump on the kale bandwagon because I know it's like, sooooooooooo good for you but I'm just not a huge fan. Husband loves to grill up some kale in olive oil and eat it for lunch and every time he offers me some I just want to barf on him. Gross. HOWEVER, I know that kale is versatile and can be prepared in such a way that everyone can like it so when I saw this recipe on Gimme Some Oven, I went for it. And what do you know? With two minute changes, I loved it (and obviously Husband loved it too, that kale-loving-son-of-a-bitch)!


Ingredients

  • 3 tbsp. olive oil, divided
  • 1 shallot, peeled and thinly sliced
  • 3 cloves garlic, minced
  • 1 c. dried cranberries
  • 2 tbsp. white wine vinegar
  • juice and zest of half a lemon
  • 1/8 tsp. salt
  • 1/8 tsp. black pepper
  • 1 bunch kale, ribbed and very thinly sliced
  • 1/4 cup sliced almonds
  • 1/4 cup crumbled feta 

How To Make It

  • heat 2 tbsp. oil in a large saute pan over medium-high heat 
  • add shallot and saute for at least 5 minutes or until tender
  • add garlic and saute for 1 minute
  • then add cranberries, red wine vinegar and lemon juice and zest, and stir to combine
  • season with salt and pepper
  • in a large bowl, toss the kale with olive oil and an extra pinch of salt, and massage kale with your fingers 
  • add in the cranberry/shallot mixture and almonds, and toss to combine
  • serve topped with crumbled feta


No comments:

Post a Comment