Tuesday, February 4, 2014

Skinny Turkey Burgers


I've been on a bit of a health kick lately but I got to the point where I was really craving just a nice juicy burger. I've always wanted to try my hand at turkey burgers so when better time to start than right now? With some easy substitutions I was able to satisfy my craving for a nice burger while simultaneously not breaking the calorie bank. Boom!


Ingredients: 

  • 1 lb. ground turkey meat
  • 1/2 medium red onion, finely chopped
  • 1/4 c. red bell pepper, chopped
  • 1/2 c. fresh parsley, minced
  • 1 tbsp garlic powder
  • 4 slices pepper jack cheese
  • 4 slices pineapple
  • 4 thin, whole wheat hamburger buns, toasted
  • lettuce (or I used spinach)
  • (optional) spicy brown mustard for topping - some in our group liked this and others didn't think it was necessary

How To Cook It

  • I used a griddle/panini press (think George Foreman) for this but you could easily do it on a grill, anyway preheat your grilling device to medium high
  • combine ground turkey, onions, peppers, parsley, and garlic powder and mix evenly and form 4 patties
  • place burgers and pineapple slices on the grill
  • grill for about 7 minutes a side, 2 minutes before burgers are done, place pepper jack cheese and pineapple on top
  • meanwhile, butter and toast your buns (they are thin buns so they will burn easier, make sure to watch them)
  • serve burgers on toasted buns with lettuce and mustard if you need it, most in our group thought the pineapple and cheese were plenty moisture for this burger
  • enjoy!



No comments:

Post a Comment