Friday, July 12, 2013

Homemade Pizza

Homemade pizza is interesting to me - people usually do it as like a fun date night or something fun to do with roommates or friends. I never understand why this is like, an event. I very rarely order pizza because it is SO easy to make at home and so much less expensive. I put like, a frillion toppings on my pizzas so now whenever I buy pizza, I'm hugely disappointed when I see 2 toppings on my sixteen dollar pizza. Lame. But I guess I'm just a spoiled brat that way. I'm also not real big on marinara sauce on my pizzas, I prefer lighter aiolis and/or just the juices and greases of the meets and veggies. Delicious.


Ingredients

  • pizza crust - you can do this homemade or buy dough or just buy the crust. I usually just buy the crust because I'm lazy but my cousin says it's super easy to make the dough
  • 4-5 cloves of garlic - minced
  • 1-2 Tbsp olive oil
  • 1/2 package of grape tomatoes - sliced
  • 1/4 red onion - sliced
  • 1 small jar artichoke hearts - chopped
  • 1/2 lb bacon - chopped
  • 1/2 cup mozzarella - grated
  • goat cheese - to taste
  • oregano - to taste
  • crushed red pepper flakes - to taste

Before it goes in the oven

How To Cook It

  • preheat your oven to 450 degrees
  • start cooking your bacon - you can leave it in strip form at this point, no need to chop it yet
  • sprinkle minced garlic and olive oil on pizza crust, use a basting brush to spread - this is pretty much your pizza sauce
  • chop tomatoes, onion, and artichoke hearts and spread evenly on pizza crust
  • wait for bacon to finish cooking, then chop and spread evenly on pizza crust
  • top with cheese and spices, the cheese will melt and seal in all the awesome
  • if you are using store bought pizza crust, it says to just place the whole thing directly on the oven rack (again, I have never made my own dough or bought pizza dough you have to cook so, sorry, I can't help you here)
  • bake for about 10 minutes until crust starts to brown slightly
  • slice pizza and enjoy (if you have not yet invested in a rolling pizza cutter, do it, they are awesome - ours is CutCo brand and it's amazeballs)
  • I prefer to sprinkle a little feta on top of my pizza once it comes out of the oven, but I am a cheese crazed loon


Make sure you have napkins, cause this pizza is LOADED with goodies and you will need it - this aint no 2 topping sad excuse, you made this yourself and if you're not messy you have failed, FAILED!