Wednesday, July 10, 2013

Grapes and Thyme

I was cleaning out my closet the other day and I stumbled across an old 'Real Simple' magazine. Of course I got distracted and started leafing through it, aahhh the days before Pinterest. Anyway, I came across this recipe and thought I would try it out. It is super easy and delicious.


Ingredients: 

  • olive oil - preferably one that tastes good plain, as you will use it for cooking and for flavor
  • balsamic vinegar
  • a couple cups of red grapes - I like red because they are a little sweeter
  • salt - the recipe calls for kosher but I used my Himalayan pink salt and it was yummy! 
  • fresh thyme sprigs
  • rustic bread 

After the oven, my grapes didn't burst so I cut them and put them back in the oven. Burst grapes = more juice = yum!

How To Cook It

  • preheat your oven to 450 degrees
  • spread grapes onto a cooking sheet, drizzle with around 2 Tbsp olive oil, sprinkle with salt
  • now here the recipe says to just wham a couple sprigs on top but I tried that the first time and I don't think it gives it enough flavor, so I strip the sprigs of their leaves and add them
  • toss the whole grape, oil, salt, thyme mixture until grapes are coated
  • bake for around 10 minutes but check at 8 (don't be surprised if you see a small amount of smoke coming from your oven - a SMALL amount), when the grapes start bursting, it is time to take them out
  • while grapes are in the oven, heat a grill pan or a panini press to med-high (or if you are being lazy, just pop them in the toaster)
  • brush the bread with olive oil and grill until toasty
  • pull your grapes from the oven, in a small bowl drain the juices from the grapes and then combine it with your ricotta cheese, also pull out a few of the roasted thyme leaves and mix it in as well, it should turn out a light purple (see below)
  • spread ricotta to the toasted bread and top with the roasted grapes (if you did not strip the thyme leaves, remove the sprigs now, they don't taste good. if you stripped the thyme leaves, congrats you are awesome and this is going to taste better)
  • drizzle with balsamic (this is not in the recipe but I find it adds just a bit more tartness and flavor to cut the sweetness of the cheese and grapes)


Enjoy!