Friday, January 17, 2014

Chocolate Chip Banana Bread


Let me start by saying this. This isn't one of those "replace eggs with applesauce" recipes, or whatever they are. While those are great and I totally follow a few of them, but
sometimes you just need good old fashioned butter and flour. And oooohmigaw this recipe is so good in my mouth!

My Great Grandma "Bug" used to bake us banana bread for every celebration. Birthday? Here's a loaf of banana bread. Christmas? Banana bread. 4th of July? Banana bread. You get the picture. And I'm talking each family member would get their own loaf. The woman must have spent a fortune on bananas. You'd think at some point at least one family member would get sick of this. We did not. Sure, on Christmas my cousins and I would be excited about our Buzz Lightyear and our Talkboy Tape Recorder but when Grandma Bug brought out those little loafs wrapped in foil - BOOM. Cartoon dust clouds in the shape of our bodies filtered down around our new toys (that was a cartoon reference... I don't know how well it came across). ANYWAY the point is, I loves me some banana bread.

Also, I should warn you. We made this at around 11:00 at night and I was in a mood.... (3 glasses of wine deep) so the pictures are a little strange.


Ingredients:

  • 2 c. all-purpose flour
  • 1 1/2 tsp. baking powder
  • 1/2 tsp. baking soda
  • 1/4 tsp. salt
  • 1/4 tsp. ground cinnamon
  • 1/8 tsp. ground nutmeg
  • 2 eggs, beaten
  • 1 1/2 c. mashed ripe banana (I had 4)
  • 1 c. sugar
  • 1/2 c. melted butter
  • (optional) however many chocolate chips you want, I used the whole bag cause chocolate is awesome (and again, I had had 3 glasses of wine...)


How To Make It:

  • preheat oven to 350 F
  • grease 9x5x3 baking pan and set aside 
  • combine flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt, cinnamon and nutmeg - make a well in the middle
  • in a separate bowl combine eggs, banana, sugar and oil
  • add egg mixture all at once to flour mixture 
  • stir until moistened, don't over mix it should be lumpy
  • pour batter into bread pan
  • bake for 40 minutes at first then cover with tinfoil and bake for 15 more minutes 




No comments:

Post a Comment