Tuesday, June 10, 2014

Cowboy Caviar


I went on my first camping trip of the season last weekend. Have I mentioned how much I love camping? Because I do.Two days later and my hair still smells like campfire - and I love it! I love campfires and the woods and dirt and just everything about it. Anyway, I'm rambling.

Cowboy caviar is my go-to camping snack. You can prepare a giant bowl of it in advance and it will last the whole weekend... kind of. I mean it COULD last the whole weekend and not spoil, but people will usually eat it before the end of the the trip - like they will eat it the first night. It's just magical. It's fresh and healthy and filling and just all around fantastic. I can't say enough about it.

If you look on Pinterest there are literally TONS of recipes for cowboy caviar. I've messed with several of them and Frankenstein-ed a few of them together and this is my favorite combination.


Ingredients:

  • 1 15 oz. can black beans, drained and rinsed
  • 1 15 oz. can black eyed peas, drained and rinsed
  • 1 12 oz. bag frozen corn, drained and rinsed
  • 3 green onions, sliced
  • 2 avocados, chopped
  • 2 roma tomatoes, chopped
  • 1/2 bunch cilantro, chopped
  • 3/4 c. zesty Italian dressing
  • 2 tbsp. lime juice
  • salt to taste


Poor puppy, I think taking pictures was tormenting my helper. Like I said, everybody loves cowboy caviar! 

How To Make It:

  • combine all ingredients in a large bowl 
  • make sure Italian dressing and lime juice have completely covered all ingredients, add more of each if desired
  • salt to taste
  • serve with tortilla chips


No comments:

Post a Comment