Thursday, May 30, 2013

Lettuce Wraps

Do you ever have one of those weeks where it feels like no matter what you do, you keep getting fatter? You know you're not actually blowing up like Violet from Charlie and the Chocolate Factory, but it sure feels like it. Of course you know that feeling. We alllllll know that feeling - and it sucks. Usually the week after I have been verrrry bad about my diet, I bust out my gaggle of recipes to make me feel thin again. These lettuce wraps are one such meal.


Ingredients

  • hearts of romaine
  • 1 lb ground turkey
  • 1 red bell pepper
  • 1 bunch of green onions
  • 1 can sliced water chestnuts
  • 2 eggs
  • 1/2 c. chopped dry roasted peanuts
  • 2 tbsp chili garlic sauce
  • 1 tsp sesame oil
  • 1/2 c. hoisin sauce

How To Cook It


I like to chop/dice everything before browning my meat so I don't have to worry about burning it. The thing I love about this dish is it is practically impossible to screw up. I brown the meat in a frying pan on high heat and then kind of shove it to one side of the pan so I can scramble up the eggs. Then I add the diced peppers, green onion, water chestnuts, and peanuts all at once. I give that a good stir so it's even and then add the hoisin, sesame oil, and chili garlic sauce. 

Before adding the hoisin, chili garlic sauce, and sesame oil

After all the ingredients have been added, reduce the heat to low and let it simmer for a few minutes. I like to  wash my lettuce and clean up my cooking mess while it simmers; this usually takes me anywhere from 5 to ten minutes. Plate it up on your hearts of romaine and BAM! meal of gold!


I must apologize for my pictures. I am still working with a phone camera because I'm too cheap to buy a nice one. Whatever, doesn't matter, my belly is happy.