Tuesday, October 1, 2013

Chicken Quinoa Soup

It has been pissing rain here the last couple of days! Sorry for the swear but we've had 4 inches in the last 3 days so I stand by it: pissing rain. I don't know about you but when it rains, I prefer a warm soup. Nothing feels better than stripping off sopping wet clothes, putting on your fuzziest slippers, and eating a warm cup of soup.

This is probably one of the first recipes I ever "created". I used to buy those Progresso "chunky" soups or whatever and then I realized how easy and cheap it is to make your own. So I did. And it wasn't rocket science: carrots, celary, chicken, noodles. Bam! But then I discovered how good quinoa is for you and how easy it is to switch that for the nutrition-less noodles. Anyway, enough blabbing. Here's the recipe. 

Sauteing Veggies

Ingredients

  • 4 cups cooked chicken, chopped
  • 4 carrots, chopped
  • 3 celery stalks, chopped
  • 1 summer squash, chopped
  • 1 shallot, chopped
  • 1/2 c. quinoa
  • 2 pkgs organic chicken stock
  • 1 tbsp olive oil
  • 1 tsp paprika
  • parsley to taste
  • salt to taste
  • pepper to taste

Bringing to a boil

 How To Cook It

  • in a large stock pot, heat olive oil and saute veggies until tender (about 5 to 10 minutes)
  • stir in the paprika and cook for another minute
  • carefully add the chicken stock
  • add chicken, quinoa, salt, pepper and parsley; bring to a boil
  • reduce heat and cover, let simmer for around 30 minutes


No comments:

Post a Comment